RULES FOR NATIONAL GARDEN CLUB HS SPEECH
A $1000 National Garden Club scholarship will be awarded to the national winner. If the winner is an underclassman,
the $1000 scholarship will be held by NGC, Inc., without accrued interest, until such time that the student enters college.
At that time, the money will be forwarded to the Financial Aid Office of the college that the student will enter. Second
place winner will receive a $100. award
All entries become the property of NGC, Inc.
1. Speech Length: The speech is to be between 6 to 9 minutes.
2. The contestant must be sponsored by a federated Garden Club or Council.
3. The contestant must write the speech himself.
5. Notes may be used.
6. Each district may submit one entry of a cassette tape recording of the speech and three type-written double-spaced
copies of the speech. Note: Speech tape (not VCR) should be of good quality as this greatly affects judging.
7. Enclose a clear photo of the contestant and a short sketch of his or her life and activities.
8. Grade average of contestant is very important, especially at the National level. Should be at least a 3.9 average.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
Content - 55
Conform to Topic - 15
Knowledge of subject - 10
Subject matter well organized - 5
Practicality of proposal - 10
Conformance to time - 5
Creativity/Originality - 10
Oration - 35
Clarity and Presentation - 20
Voice inflection/enunciation - 10
Emphasis - 5
Manuscript - 10
Wallet size photo, name, address, phone number, school attending, Grade,list of activities and sponsoring club -
Neatness, legibility - 5
(a plastic folder keeps manuscript neat)
Total Points 100
AWARDS: 1st - $100. 2nd - $50. 3rd - $25 (as merited)
DEADLINE: All required items should reach State Youth Activities Chairman by December 1.
Regional Deadline: January 1